Friday, September 29, 2017

2017.09.29

It looks like MW's friends - what few she has - are learning to ignore her. They won't answer her calls or respond, timely, to her texts.

Mixed emotions about this: one hand, it makes MW frustrated and sad; the other - I don't have to worry about any of them tossing grenades. "Gee, MW, you're acting funny today. Maybe you got that disease like what your mum had? Oh! Look at the time. Gottagoluvubye!"

This is not an irrational concern. Just last year, in fact, one of MW's aunties -out of the blue and for no reason - made an ignorant comment about the disease; "haven't they found a cure yet?" she'd asked.

Makes you want to slap someone. 

Fortunately, MW didn't pick up on it, or if she did, it didn't resonate. So there was no catastrophic fall-out from that particular conversation.

But it was terrifyingly close. And things are only getting worse with MW obsessing over health concerns. For example, last night MW flew into a panic because she had a bloody nose.

Actually, it wasn't a "bloody" nose. Just that when she picked it, the tissue came back with pinkish tinted spots. To prove this was a significant event, she spent about an hour picking her nose then shoving the tissue in my face, demanding I look at it.

I tried to calm her down. Told her to stop picking at it and it'll stop. Explained how the membrane in the nostrils worked. At one point, I aggressively blew my own nose and showed her the results - which included some pinkish tint - but it wasn't enough.

So she decided to call her friends and ask for their advice about the "bloody" nose. Again, I tried to talk her out of this because these are exactly the types of conversations that drive people away, also, I knew she would make the symptoms sound a lot worse than they were (my nose won't stop bleeding!) but she was intractable. She needed to talk to someone.

But none of them answered their phones. I assume this is because it was close to ten at night and MW generally calls at odd hours to discuss bizarre health issues. 

Good, I guess. No grenades anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment