Tuesday, September 19, 2017

2017.09.19

Another autumn anecdote:

Curtains. Draperies. This is MW's current obsession. Window coverings all over the house. 

Easier said than done. To date, we've spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on panels that just aren't right. We've piles of them shoved in closets and covering chairs. None the right color, style, vibe, etc.

I'm resigned to the fact that we will never actually have conformed curtains - and I'm good with that - but MW is very frustrated by the current lack of drapes in Casa Muncie. Generally, this annoyance manifests itself by MW criticizing me for my overall uselessness. There was a point last weekend, however, when she related a story that struck me as odd. 

MW was discussing how much we should spend on curtains; with me agreeing to anything, and she recalled that her mother bought very expensive drapes for their house. Probably around five thousand dollars, MW estimated.

She went on to describe how thick and beautiful they were - worth every penny.

Then she said, "Those curtains were the last major decision my mother made before getting sick."

Spooky? I think so. A little bit.

Because when you look around our house and all the things that need to be changed, window coverings aren't in the top ten.We already have shades and panels that are at lease functional. And I've often wondered why MW is so fixated on buying curtains right now. 

Also, why mention it? 

I guess I shouldn't read into it too much; but, coupled with her recent statement that mommy fell hard and fast after being diagnosed, with this odd coincidence, it makes me wonder. 

Just a weird coincidence or a manifestation of self-awareness?

No comments:

Post a Comment