Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015.01.08

I've recognize the portends. The end is coming soon. It started when MW insisted that we start talking to my mother again - something we haven't done in almost five years. Recall that the reason I severed ties with mom in the first place is because she yelled at MW about her "bad" behavior.

Well. Ha. Thanks a lot, mom, but.... Goodbye.

Now MW wants to "forgive and forget" and re-open those lines of communication. I tried very hard to convince MW otherwise, told her that my mother couldn't be trusted, but, as you know, what MW wants, MW gets; so we called and talked to mom on New Year's day.

It went well. Everybody was pleasant enough. No drama, but it was difficult for MW to sleep that night.

So I vowed to keep the phone calls with mom infrequent and short.

Here's the problem: last night MW saw "spotting" when she wiped after going to the bathroom, but her period isn't due for another week. This sent her into a downward spiral of insensible worry and, when she reached bottom, she decided to call my mother to ask about the possible causes.

I tried very hard to talk her out of it, suggested other, more sensible alternatives, but she went ahead and made the call anyway.

Fortunately my mother, bless her, didn't say anything to panic MW nor did she call MW's behavior into questions. So, again, it went well; but it's only a matter of time before this situation blows up. My mother can't be trusted. If MW continues to call her with these late-night, paranoid, hypochondriac, demented worries, mom will say something wrong. How can she not? I'm the only one capable of dealing with MW because I'm the only one who knows what's going on.

The question is: should I tell mom about MW's condition? Let her know what the situation is?

I just.... I just can't trust her. Her or anybody in my family. Not that I blame them. If the situation were reversed, I would definitely want to do something to help. Unfortunately, any such acknowledgement of the problem would spell disaster. If MW even suspected I told anybody about anything that goes on with her - the sky would fall.

So I wait for somebody to fuck it up honestly and on their own. Say something to MW that sends her into a tailspin. It doesn't have to be much, might even be entirely innocent, maybe just a thoughtless reply to one of MW's increasingly odd questions - but if I can't find a way to isolate her from my family, it'll happen. And if it doesn't happen because of my family, it'll happen at her job. Either way, I feel like buying some red paint and a white sandwich board: The End Is Coming Soon!

2015.01.09

Got lucky last night. MW went down around 9:30, fell asleep like a stone, and didn't really wake up again until this morning. She muttered some when I tucked her in, and she's still doing the Drinkers' Hour shocker, but no incessant worrying or dementia. A good night.

Didn't last long. MW saw blood again this morning and it took a concentrated effort to get her ready for work and out of the house. I fear tonight will be one of the sleepless kind as she seems extremely agitated about this spotting situation.

Just to get this out of the way - no, I'm not a gynecologist. Yes, I should probably encourage MW to see a doctor. But you have to understand - this type of stuff doesn't end. It is always something. And it is never anything. When MW first saw the spotting, she came to me and offered up the tissue, holding it out she said, "Look, blood". Okay. For the record, there was a slight pinkish tint on the tissue. Maybe. I mean it was so faint it was hard to tell. She wiped again, came back and it was even less noticeable. So I'll play the odds and tell MW that there is nothing to worry about. Menopause. That's what we're calling it. And who knows? Could be. MW is 48 now, a little young, but in the ballpark.

If this seems irresponsible, remember, studies show that Huntington's Disease patients are statistically less likely to have cancer and besides.... NOTHING IS WORSE THAN HD ANYWAY!

***

But this was kind of cool: MW's 4:00 a.m. shout out? Was in French. In her sleep she cried, "Je suis! Je suis!" with a passable accent. A holdover from watching news about Charlie Hebdo, no doubt. Still, if you have to be shocked awake in the middle of the night, it's nice to have a little Rosetta Stone action now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment