Tuesday, December 1, 2015

2015.12.01

One down.

Thanksgiving was touch and go, but we made it. Next up: Christmas. Fucking Christmas. Worst Goddamned day of the year. And then, though it usually isn't too much an ordeal, we can't just dismiss New Year's Day out of hand. That can be a treacherous holiday as well.

How I hate this time of year.

Thanksgiving.... We were invited to a friend's house, but MW decided to skip it because there would be little children around and, yes, kids cause colds! She couldn't risk getting sick so we didn't go anywhere or do anything, except to the Indian restaurant to get food for her dad, and that's when things got tricky.

As we're walking out, we bump into two of MW's old friends. It has been years since we've seen them, so we stand around chatting for awhile and one of them makes a comment that MW has lost weight.

Oh fuck.

After we part ways, that's all MW can think about - has she lost weight? Why has she lost weight? Is she sick? Does she have cancer? Will she be able to sleep worried about her drastic weight loss?

Fortunately, in the years since we'd seen them, one of those friends had actually gained a lot of weight. A gross amount of weight. So much so that I was able to convince MW that a) they hadn't seen her in three years so they wouldn't really remember how much she weight and b) he'd gotten so fat, everybody must look thinner to him anyway.

That worked pretty good, actually, and even though she did spend much of the day complaining about the unreasonable expectations of the holidays, it wasn't anything that kept her up all night or caused her to go completely off the rails.

When I was dropping the food off at her dad's (MW stayed in the car - still hasn't seen or spoken with her dad in just shy of three years) her brother came out of his room to say "hi" to me as I was leaving. That was unusual - he normally avoids me. Then I get an email from him asking if I could proof read his book. Again.

Jesus. What a family!

Oh, and her cousin called and left a message yesterday. This is the big shot psychiatrist cousin who really should know better. He knows MW is at risk for HD, knows she is of age, knows she is acting erratically, but has never offered anything more substantial than criticism on how she lives. Anyway, I called him back mostly to prevent him from leaving more messages that might upset MW. He asked how she was doing, I said "fine". He asked if she was talking to any of her family and I said, "well, she's still working through some things." We exchanged more pleasantries and hung up.

Hopefully he got the hint and won't call again. Based on how he treated MW last time we were together, I wouldn't trust that motherfucker as far as I could throw him. And he's fat too.

Thanksgiving is behind us. Christmas on the horizon. It'll be hard, I know, but hopefully we can see it through. I am drinking again, so that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment