Friday, April 6, 2018

2018.04.06

Lent is over and I'm drinking again. Rough start. Sick a lot; headaches a lot, but I'm moving in the right direction. Soon I'll find that level of blissful intoxication and stick there. And then, hopefully, another year will pass without anything too terrifying happening.

I'll drink to that!

***

MW is planning to spend upwards of $50,000 on home renovations. This will deplete our savings and may even put us in the red. Seems like something I should push back at; but how? I tried in my mushy-mouthed, weaselly way to scare MW away from this - suggesting that we might need the money for *ahem* medical expenses, but without being able to offer specifics, I didn't get much traction.

So contractors have been engaged and money is going out the door.

In a year, MW will have a brand new kitchen and bathrooms which she'll be able to enjoy for the rest of her life. And that's, what, five maybe ten more years? Assuming she doesn't have to be moved into a nursing home before then. And, because we're $50,000 poorer now, it'll likely be a cheap-ass nursing home.

***

Five years. Ten. Fifteen or twenty. Where are we?

MW turns 50 in a few months. 2013 was the year I decided, based entirely upon her behavior, that she had Huntington's Disease. The chorea didn't become noticeable until later; and indeed, even today it can be ignored. Explained away as clumsiness or fatigue: certainly not a precursor to death.

Except it is.

I'm sick and tired of waiting for it. I just want this to be over. What's five years? Or even twenty? Not like we're making the most of life while we have it; the opposite is true. Every day is a futile struggle filled with anger, depression and confusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment