Tuesday, December 26, 2017

2017.12.26

Co-worker: How was your Christmas?

Me: Fine! And yours?

Co-worker: Great! Our family came in from out of town and we went to Moody Gardens or The Galleria or maybe we traveled to see family all over the country. What did you do?

Me: Oh. The same. Family mumble mumble - sucks being back at work, right! Ha ha.

The truth is; being back at work is a lifesaver. Because what I actually did for Christmas was sit around all day listening to MW cry about how nobody likes us (her). 

Literally. All Day. Non-stop. Except for those few hours agonizing over the fungal infection on her foot. Man. God Bless Athlete's Foot! It provides a well-needed break from the everlasting litany.

All the stores are closed - there is no place to go. Trapped. Nothing to do but let dementia fill our home and hearth with a flurry of hateful words and recriminations. It is beyond sad. 

Context: MW tells her friends she spends the holidays with my family. She tells my family she spends time with her family. Therefore, nobody invites us to any celebrations. At one point, I actually risked telling MW her negligent friends were not so evil; after all, they all thought she was with my family.

That didn't go over very well, and I should know better. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Of course, my family does know the truth. And I could probably wrangle an invitation from them if I secretly asked; but it is far easier dealing with the disappointment of having no company on Christmas than the fall-out of somebody accidentally saying or doing something to upset MW. At this stage, it is all but a certainty that will happen. 

So MW spends Christ's birthday viciously attacking all our relatives and close friends for being insensitive.

I try very hard to agree with her, while somehow calming the situation, and at the same time avoid getting terrorized myself. It is the highest of tightropes, it goes on forever, and walking it wears me out. I'm so glad to be back at work! 

Even if it is temporary - fucking New Years Day. 

Although, with luck, I can get MW out of the house on January 1st as the stores will be open. She'll still have the foot-funk, too, so maybe that'll work in my favor. 

Goddamn these holidays.

***

Here's something I've noticed: MW's HD movements appear to be more pronounced early in the morning and late at night. That's when her speech is worse as well. Why? I've read where stressful situation bring about the worse in HD victims - but I've not come across anything stating that the time of day would or should have an ill effect.

Odd.

I suppose the nighttime up-tick could be explained by stress. Sleep is such a difficult thing. And there's always so many items that need to be dealt with before getting in bed. But why is she so unwieldy come morning? She doesn't have to do anything but get up, dressed, and drive with me to the bus stop. Nevertheless, she can barely put a sentence together and watching her put clothes on is like watching the Weather Channel's tornado highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment