Thursday, January 23, 2014

2014.01.09

Another cancer scare last night. MW said when she squatted down she felt as if she was “bumping into something” so she kept doing deep-knee bends and asking “Huh? huh?”

I didn’t know how to respond. I wasn’t even sure she thought it was cancer until she said, “Do you think it is ‘C’?” Apparently the act of squatting made her feel as if there was a lump somewhere in her stomach.

This kept her awake and worrying until around midnight. She tried to sleep in the closet, but the blankets were in disarray so she returned to Bed-zilla.

Is the gallows humor out of place?

I married at 20, and knew at the time that MW was at risk for HD. Of course being young and in love = fucking stupid and I was confident that 1) she wouldn’t get it and 2) if she did, we could manage. After all, Woody Guthrie could play the guitar.

We weren’t lucky enough to roll a 1, so that leaves 2. But, goddamnit, MW will not do anything to acknowledge the possibility of having, nor managing the recognizable mental and physical symptoms of the disease. So where does that leave me?

In the gallows.

And there is a lot to laugh at around here, if you’re of the right mind. For example, MW is gorgeous. Strikingly attractive. But her irrational concerns over cleanliness and disease have made her untouchable this past decade or so. And even before that, intimacy was a rare occasion - once every couple of years kind of thing. Not that I tried much to persuade her otherwise. Rather disgusting behavior, pressuring an HD victim for sex. So I live with a beautiful woman I cannot touch. And I listen to a lot of surf music.

Funny, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment